Unnecessary radiation exposure can adversely impact you and your patients. To avoid unnecessary risk, while certain imaging is performed, steps to gain control of radiation dose are essential. Adherence to a strong radiation safety program will help you achieve this goal. In order to achieve your goals you need strong partnerships to discover new tools and resources that can greatly accelerate your program. Access to educational materials, consulting services and the latest scientific opinions is critical to your facility to achieve its goals of a low-dose safety culture and continuous improvement operation.
Action is required on several fronts:
- Establishing radiation dose management goals
- Educating clinicians and patients
- Reviewing and reforming protocols/processes
- Implementing safeguards
- Complying with regulatory standards
- Utilizing appropriate dose management techniques/technologies
Collectively it comes down to a way of working – a culture of safety that considers the careful balance between imaging that meets clinical needs and dose, for every exam, every procedure.